Fix for UniDoc & ViewStation Client Install (Version 11)
FYI, a problem with the installer was discovered after the release of UniCam Version 11 that has occurred with some customers, but not all.
Fortunately there is an easy work around. Some customers reported getting a fatal error message when upgrading existing UniDoc and ViewStation client PCs and the installation aborts. This issue does not occur with UniCam clients installs. The work around is to:
- Browse to the “C:\Users\Public\Documents\UniCam” folder on the client PC you are installing and rename the “UniDocfx.ini” and/or the “ViewStationFX.ini” file(s), adding a “.org” (or similar) extension to the end of the filename.
- Then run the installer again running the “Repair” option
- After installation completes, you can delete the newly created default “.ini” files that the installer creates and restore the old ones by removing the “.org” from the end of the filename.
That’s it! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team at email@example.com, or fill out the online support request form.
Thanks for reading.
Now Available for Download: UniCam FX 11
We are pleased to announce the availability of UniCam FX Version 11. See below for what’s new, and don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or support needs.
What’s New in UniCam FX 11
An optional feature, the new CAD recognition function automatically detects the CAD file being read into UniCam FX. Users no longer have to know the file source or search to find the exact CAD file type.
The familiar Crystal Reports are being replaced with cascading style sheets (CSS) and XML data. This new reporting feature allows users to easily customize reports using standard XML style sheet transformations (XSLT). Transform your XML documents into other XML documents, or other formats such as HTML for webpages, plain text or into XSL formatting objects, which may subsequently be converted to other formats, such as PDF, postscript and PNG.
- Quickly access current job directory from Quick Menu
- Insert Classes are stored for easy access throughout UniCam FX
- Wildcard search capability added to fiducials, form filtering, select parts dialogs
- “Edit Part” dialog now accessible from the toolbar
- License Usage Report allows users to see which licenses are in use (and by whom)
NEW MACHINE INTERFACES
Support for the latest CYBEROPTICS solder paste machines
Creates a recipe to be imported into the Panasonic KME PT200 software
SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 8
UniCAM FX 11 has been validated on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
LINKS TO DOWNLOAD
Below are the links to download. You will need your active webkey to log in. Also, please note that the Siemens Download Server was updated and may look unfamiliar to you. Read more about the update here.
Have questions or need help with installation? Don’t hesitate to reach us using our support form, or by calling 855-642-2848 (option 2).
**UPDATE** If you are running UniDoc and/or ViewStation, please read the special client installation guidelines here.
About UniCam FX: The most commonly used NPI software tool for design and optimization of PCB assembly processes, UniCam FX covers the entire NPI process, from CAD and BOM import through recipe generation, and supports single-platform and mixed vendor lines. Learn more here.
The Siemens Software Download Server Has a New Look!
In an effort to make the software download process for your electronics manufacturing solutions faster & simpler, Siemens PLM Software has changed the look and feel of their Download Center.
Simply look down the left-hand side of your screen, choose your product, and then dive in deeper to get what you need. Or, just type what you’re looking for in the search bar on the top of the screen and it will find it for you.
As always, you will need your webkey to login to the download center. For instruction on creating your webkey, as well as licensing instruction, view our licensing series here.
For step-by-step instruction on the download process, we’ve created a handy guide: Download the document
We hope you find this change helpful to your install and update process. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 855-642-2848 (option 2 for Support), or by using our handy contact form.
Introducing the Test Expert Differences Report
Have these scenarios ever happened to you?
-You get a new job to process. The CAD department says, “nothing has changed, just one part number.” (You know better.)
-You need to examine an existing test fixture to accommodate a new product revision. Can we modify the existing fixture or do we need to build a new one?
-You have two different testers on different lines. What are the trade-offs of running your job down one line or the other?
If you’re responsible for programming the testers on the shop floor, I’m guessing that one, if not all, of these have happened to you.
The ability to compare one job to another is an invaluable tool for many reasons
- Checking for CAD to CAD version changes
- Fixture reusability
- Test philosophy and approach
Our new Difference Report tool permits users to compare two Test Expert jobs. Using the familiar Windows Explorer interface, the user is able to review changes to components, nets and nails and use that information to make intelligent decisions.
Operating the Difference Reporter
Starting a differences session is simple:
From the Project Manager, select the two Test Expert jobs you want to compare with CTL/Left Click, then click the Differences icon in the upper right.
Checking for Component Differences
Here we see that R1000 only exists in Board1, R45 exists only in Board2, and two components have moved – R44 has a different Y location (in bold) in the two boards.
Checking for Net Differences
Here we see the job DIFFJOB1 has one net unique to that job – MUTEMOD. The job DIFFJOB2 has one net unique to that job – VBMODIFIED. Also, there are two nets that have differing connectivity between the two jobs. For the net RUFTON, one job has six nodes on the net, the other job has four.
Checking for Nail Differences
We can check for nets whose coverage has been increased or reduced on the second board:
We can check for nets whose nail count is higher or lower on the second board. Here we see net named “11.12” has two nails on the first board, and only one nail on the second board.
We can check for nets whose position has moved:
We hope this sheds some light on our new report features. Thanks for taking time to have a look.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at 855-642-2848 (Option 2 for Support), or send us an email using our contact form.
Licensing Tips Part 3: Auto-LogOut Feature
UniCam Security now supports an Auto-Logout feature for both UniCam FX v9.2+ and Test Expert v9.3+. By default, the auto-logout is set to enabled, with a value of 10 minutes. This is a User level setting found in the Properties dialog for each user when in the “Security and Licensing” tool.
If you want to disable all users (or enable all users), you can use the “Secset.exe” utility found in folder where the security software is installed on the license server, (by default “C:\Unicam Security”). To do this:
1. Open an Administrative Command Prompt on the license server.
2. Navigate to your Unicam Security” folder. CD C:\Unicam Security
3. The possible command lines for the utility are:
SECSET AUTOLOGOUT ON : Enable autologout for all users
SECSET AUTOLOGOUT OFF : Disable autologout for all users
You can also now use this command line:
SECSET AUTOLOGOUT ON 60 : This will enable auto-logout for all users, and set to 60 minutes (or whatever you specify).
If Security & Licensing Admin tool is open when you run the SECSET utility, you will need to close and re-open the Security Admin tool to see the changes.
Have more licensing questions? Be sure to read Part 1 (Installing a New License) and Part 2 (Replacing a License File).
Gerber Expert 9.5 Now Available for Download
We are proud to announce the availability of Gerber Expert 9.5. This release contains many new features and user-requested enhancements to get the most out of your Gerber Expert software investment.
Gerber Expert 9.5- Key Release Highlights
Assembly Reverse Engineering
- “Part Identification by Package”- Identify components more quickly with predefined packages. Add to the default package definition file to customize your own requirements.
- “Select Packages”- Run identification on selected parts only.
Convert Customs to Intrinsic
- Automatically detect Cadence custom thermals as standard intrinsic thermals. Import the negative plane connections as Thermals automatically for improved job processing.
- Two new right-click options added for easy viewing
- Sort parts by part number in the Navigator
- DESIGNCOMPARE macro now works with string variables; and also has Help and Keyword within the developer
- Doubled the number of macro files that can be loaded- up to 256 files
For More Information
View the Full “What’s New” Document here.
Ready to Download Gerber Expert 9.5?
Follow this link to the extraction package. You will need your Siemens webkey to log in. For information on creating your webkey login, follow Step One in this post here.
If you have any questions or need support with downloading or installation, please don’t hesitate to use our support request form, or call 855-642-2848 Option 2.
Increase Coverage with the Test Expert Nail Status Report
If you’ve been using Test Expert for awhile, you are likely familiar with the status.asc text report. Test Expert now includes a graphical Nail Status Report which displays an interactive accessibility report listing all non-accessible nets and the reason for the inaccessibility. Simply click on a net in the report and the net is highlighted in the Test Expert main view. This makes it quite easy to identify the causes for non-access and increase your test coverage.
There is a lot of information in the report, so we’ve created this handy chart to help you navigate all the details and improve your test coverage. Feel free to print it out for quick reference!
Download the Test Expert Nail Status Legend here.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us using our support request form, or by calling 855-642-2848 (option 2).
Thanks for reading!
Licensing Tips Part 2: Replace License File
Did you recently get an updated UniCam license file with new features (or removal of options) or do you need to restore the license after a server crash/repair? If so, read on and follow these steps to replace your existing license file. It’s fairly simple to accomplish and should only take a few minutes before your team is up and running again.
If you did the initial license install, most of this will be familiar to you. You can also read Part 1 for a refresher. Please note that you will need your webkey log-in information to update your license.
Steps to Replace UniCam License File
- Open the Control Panel from your Start Menu
- Open Administrative Tools
- Open Services
- Find and select the Unicam Security and Licensing Service
- Stop the service by clicking the Stop button under the menu bar at the top or by right clicking on the service listing and selecting Stop.
- Go to the Siemens GTAC website (http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com)
- Log in using your Webkey information
- Licensing Management->
- Current License->
- Enter your Sold-To ID (if requested)
- Click Passwords and License File
- Select “Unicam products” from the Product drop list field and click Continue
- Upload your Challenge.nlc file when prompted. Locate your “Challenge.nlc” file in the folder where you installed the license server, (by default “C:\Unicam Security”).
- You are prompted to download a file named “license.nlf”. Download and save this file in the folder where you installed the security and licensing server, (by default “C:\Unicam Security”). Overwrite existing license file if prompted.
- Start the Unicam Security and Licensing server. You can do this by simply rebooting the PC/Server, but a reboot is not required. You can also:
- Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
- Locate and start “Unicam Security and Licensing server”
Do a Quick Test
For UniCam FX
- Open a UniCam FX client that is pointed to your security server
- If you are launching a newly installed client for the first time you may receive an error that no security server could be found. If this happens, close the error message and click on the Options menu in Unicam and select Security Server IP Address and then enter the IP address or hostname for the server where you installed the licensing. Click OK and close Unicam, then re-open UniCam.
For Test Expert
- Open a Test Expert client that is pointed to your security server
- If you are launching a newly installed client for the first time you may receive an error that the Server did not respond. If this happens, close the error message and click YES on the next Warning message box. A message box will appear asking you to enter the Security Server IP Address or hostname for the server where you installed the licensing. Enter the address or hostname and click OK. Close and restart Test Expert.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed your replacement UniCam license file.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed your replacement UniCam license file.
We hope this was helpful- if you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 855-642-2848 Option 2, or use our new support form for prompt assistance.
Thanks for reading,