Licensing is one of the most common support topics to come through our support line. Now that we have a vehicle for sharing information with the world, I have put together a 4-part series on common licensing questions and their answers. This article is the first in the series, and will guide you through your initial licensing experience.
Step 1: Create a Siemens Webkey Account
In order to access our web tools and services available at Siemens PLM Software, you will need to create a WEBKEY account. A WebKey account allows you to control the username and password used to associate you with your company. Through this authentication scheme, we can control access to services, information and also guarantee the privacy of all customer data.
Let’s get started:
- Follow this link to create your WebKey account
- Enter your Sold-to ID. Your Sold-to ID is directly under the Sold-to information on your shipping order. (You may have also received an email from your CSR with an attached file containing this info.)
- Enter your WebKey Access Code (WAC). The Webkey Access Code can be found on the upper right corner of your shipping order that came with your CD. (You may have also received an email from your CSR with an attached file containing this info.)
- Fill in required info and create a User Name and Password
- This will trigger an activation email from Siemens PLM Software- once you have received the email and activated your webkey, follow the steps below.
Note: You must have a WebKey to log onto the Siemens UGS Support web site. If you do not have a WebKey and have trouble using the process defined above for creating one, please contact the Global Technical Access Center (GTAC) at 800-955-0000 or 714-952-5444 (North America or South America) or your local support office (all other world locations).
Step 2: Install UniCam Licensing Tools
- From the UniCam FX CD setup menu install Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1.
- From the UniCam FX CD launch the Setup.exe then select “Security & Licensing” option from the Setup Wizard menu and click Install.
- Accept the default settings and click to “Agree” to the licensing terms.
- When the installation is complete it will create a file named “challenge.nlc”. This file is saved in the folder where you installed the license server, “C:\Unicam Security” by default. (Make note of this location for step 11 below.)
- Browse to the Siemens Support web site at http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com
- Log in using the Webkey information you just created
- License Management->
- Enter your Sold-To ID (if requested)
- Click Passwords and License File
- Select “Unicam products” from the Product drop list field and click Continue
- Upload your Challenge.nlc file when prompted. Locate your “Challenge.nlc” file in the folder where you installed the license server, (by default “C:\Unicam Security”).
- You are prompted to download a file named “license.nlf”. Download and save this file in the folder where you installed the security and licensing server, (by default “C:\Unicam Security”). Overwrite existing license file if prompted.
- Start the Unicam Security and Licensing server. You can do this by simply rebooting the PC/Server, but a reboot is not required. You can also:
- Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
- Locate and start “Unicam Security and Licensing server”
Licensing is Now Installed and Ready for Test
- Open a UniCam FX client that is pointed to your security server
- If you are launching a newly installed client for the first time you may receive an error that no security server could be found. If this happens, close the error message and click on the Options menu in Unicam and select Security Server IP Address and then enter the IP address or hostname for the server where you installed the licensing. Click OK and close Unicam, then re-open UniCam again.
For Test Expert
- Open a Test Expert client that is pointed to your security server
- If you are launching a newly installed client for the first time you may receive an error that the Server did not respond. If this happens, close the error message and click YES on the next Warning message box. A message box will appear asking you to enter the Security Server IP Address or hostname for the server where you installed the licensing. Enter the address or hostname and click OK. Close and restart Test Expert.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed your UniCam License server and your users can now begin to use the software. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us using our support form or by calling 855-64ACUITY, Option 2.
In Part 2, we will cover “Replacing an Existing License File”. Read Part 2 HERE.
Thanks for reading,